Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue (1869-1924), American architect, who designed in many styles from Gothic to modern. He was born in Pomfret, Conn., on April 28, 1869. In 1897 he became a partner in the Boston architectural firm of Crâm, Goodhue, and Ferguson, which specialized in Gothic churches. One of these is All Saints Church (1892), Ashmont, Mass., a revival of late English Gothic. In 1903 the firm won a competition for the design of buildings at the U. S. Military Academy, West Point, N. Y., and opened a second office in New York City with Goodhue in charge. He was primarily responsible for the Gothic design of St. Thomas’ Church (1906), New York City.
After 1913, when the partnership was dissolved, Goodhue became progressively more independent of the past. St. Bartholomew’s Church (1920), New York City, was partly Romanesque, partly Byzantine, but his designs for the Nebraska State Capitol (begun 1920), Lincoln, and for the National Academy of Sciences (1924), Washington, D. C., had no historical precedents. Goodhue died in New York City on April 23, 1924.